How often should a Bubble Tube be cleaned?
We recommend that you empty your Bubble Tube about every six weeks and refill it with fresh clean water. If de-ionised (distilled) water has been used then this will only need to be changed every 3 months.
What do I need to clean and refill a Bubble Column?
You will need the following for a quick, clean and easy procedure:
- Length of hose
- Soft brush (or a cloth tied to a pole)
- Pump (optional but recommended for tall tubes)
- Easy access to water and drain
- BCB – Bubble Column Additive (or water purification tablets)
How do I clean a Bubble Column?
Do not try to lift or drain the Bubble Tube single-handed and disconnect from the mains before emptying.
Draining a Bubble Column
- Remove Bubble Column security bracket
- Remove podium pad and lid
- Disconnect the electrical cables at the base of the column
- Remove the bubble column lid
- Empty the column using the hose and creating a siphon (or use a pump)
- When almost empty lift the Bubble Column from the podium or position and tilt the column so the remaining water drains into a bucket.
- Remove any inserts such as fish or balls
Cleaning a Bubble Column
- Use a soft bristled brush (or tie a cloth to a pole) and clean the interior of the bubble tube with warm soapy water (Do not use hard or metallic cleaning tools that would scratch the acrylic)
- Clean out any algae and debris at the base of the bubble tube
- Thoroughly rinse out to ensure that any soap residue is removed.
- The exterior of the tube can be cleaned with a normal spray polish and soft cloth
- Replace the Bubble Column back in its position or position in the room.
- If using Ball Insert replace the inner tube
Refilling a Bubble Column
- Reconnect with electrical supplies (it runs on low voltage so this is safe)
- Replace Podium Lid
- Switch the Bubble Tube on to allow the pump to run
- Using a hosepipe from a tap or a bucket refill the column with water whilst the pump is running
- Fill with water to approx. 10cm from the top of the bubble tube
- Place any inserts or floating items back into the bubble tube
- Replace the podium pad
- Replace and secure the security bracket
Feel this is all too much for you to take on? Why not use a waterless Bubble Column our fantastic Hurricane Tube which visually resembles a bubble tube looking almost identical.
Need further assistance with ongoing maintenance? Call Rhino UK to request a maintenance plan.