Rhino’s range of sensory squidgy balls are fantastic to play with, squish, stretch and even throw! But sticky fingers and...Read article
After extensive research cognitive psychologists have suggested that the main ingredient of the intellectual phenomenon is sensory stimulation. Allowing a person to apprehend through their senses their environment and react to it.
Multi-Sensory Environments improve the development of thought, intelligence and social skills, offering people with cognitive impairments and other challenging conditions the opportunity to enjoy and control a variety of sensory experiences.
These people may see the world differently to how we do. Limitations of movement, vision, hearing, cognitive ability, behavioural difficulties, perception issues, pain and other problems can create obstacles in day to day life. Multi-Sensory Environments can help with these barriers.
A multi-sensory Environment generates a relaxing and calming effect and also can activate different perception areas.
Time spent in a multi-sensory environment has been proven to increase concentration, improve motor skills, creativity, social relations and communication and general awareness of the surrounding world.
Multi-Sensory Environments have not only provided alternative and powerful forms of sensory stimulation for individuals, they have also had a huge impact within health and education sectors. Providing new ways of encouraging learning, motor development, cognitive development, language and social interaction skills.
Multi-Sensory Environments can open up a whole new world for individuals:
- Increase concentration and focus attention
- Develop or reactivate senses of hearing, sight, smell, touch and taste
- Heighten awareness and improve alertness
- Improve coordination and motor development
- Promote cognitive development by increased brain function
- Encourage people to explore their environment
- Provide security
- Enjoy themselves
- Improve and encourage creativity
- Develop a sense of cause and effect
- Develop language
- Promote social interactions
- Promote mental and physical relaxation- stress levels drop dramatically
- Calmer and less aggressive behaviour
- Improve communication and sharing
- Provide relief and distraction from pain and painful treatments.
To find out more about sensory environments and options available please take a look at our sensory room guide or contact Rhino Sensory UK’s team: 01270 766660.